Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Sh&tty Valentine's Day

Only in the physical, ‘cleaning up’ realm though. In the ‘I'm really lucky to have a loving husband who brings me chocolate as well as holds sick children while I run the 12th load of laundry that day or bathes sick children while I mop up the floor’ – in that department, everything was great.

(If you’re not in the mood to read, enjoy the unrelated pix of healthy boys or skip all the way to the end to evaluate the unknown properties of some seemingly mundane grocery items.)

We’ve been holed up for the last two days, hearing a torrential rainstorm rumbling above, which has somehow added a bit of cozy charm to the situation, although probably only to me, since I’m the only one not in the throes of one ailment or another (sleep deprivation not included, of course).

I’ll spare you the details featuring the wrong body fluids for a romantic holiday and just say that the micro dude was hit first. After multiple changes of clothes and bedding, he got a bit more settled, and Nanny J kindly came over to give us a break. SwingDaddy and I both got an hour’s sleep (and I do mean sleep) before she took ill and went home.

SwingDaddy took Q-ster out for some necessities like diaper rash cream, Stain Stick, and extra crib sheets to add to the rotation through laundry. I was cleaning up a projectile vomit when they returned, waving a beautiful bouquet. We had just enough time to admire it together before Q-ster started looking green. I located a bucket, and when he got sick shortly afterwards, it was IN the bucket. This is a really huge deal to those of us with children who are at the age when they can occasionally remember their instructions even in moments of crisis.

My mom had a bell that she’d give to us if we were sick, in case we couldn’t speak loudly enough to call for help. Lacking a bell, we handed the little dude a Baby Einstein toy that says the primary colors in three languages and plays snippets of classical tunes whenever you poke it. He got the idea immediately and summoned us with Rondo Alla Turca (Mozart k331) for his next barfing session before he started abusing the setup and shaking it just to see us scurry to him from the laundry room or kitchen.

We dug out the spare baby monitor to hook up in his room, and after a few more rounds of changing and cleaning, the boys fell asleep. It was early enough that SwingDaddy and I had time to sit on the couch, our respective baby monitors (Buster for me, Q-ster for him) side by side, watching WALL-E and studiously only kissing each other on the cheek, in case one of us already had the virus and the other didn’t. Great movie, by the way.

We both went to sleep with a bucket on the floor beside us, in case we were struck in the night, but the wakings were entirely from caring for the young’uns. I’m writing this while standing guard over Buster, sleeping curled up like a bug, his naked butt in the air. I wanted to air his poor bottom to recover from diaper rash, and he was so exhausted that he feel asleep. This is far more detail than anyone could possibly care about, but I can’t leave the room in case he wakes up (crawling undiapered baby with diarrhea = a disaster beyond your imagination) and I’ve run out of laundry to fold.

Ah, he’s waking now. If you don’t hear from me tomorrow, you’ll know that I’ve been hit with the bug too – send help.

Updated: Made a quick trip to Target today for more diapers. The person in line ahead of me had only two items, but it took extra time to get through the cashier, because she carded him. His purchases? Theraflu and a case of Red Bull.

Do you have to be over 18 to take flu medicine or buy energy drinks now? Or maybe the combination seemed suspicious.


Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the sickness that hit you guys. I hope that you're all feeling better soon.

Mayberry said...

Oh, yuck! Hope it's all over now. What a weekend.

Desiree said...

Sorry to hear about your weekend. I was the only one in our house struck with the stomach flu, and it was BAD. Andrew kicked off the next round of illness the next day with a fever and cold. After giving him Tylenol I curled up next to him, still recovering from my illness, and after hearing one heave from him I quickly whipped him out of our bed and ran to the bathroom, just managing to get his head over the toiled before the vomit hit the floor! Yay! Victory for me! Now we are all sick with colds and coughs and stuck indoors. Isn't winter delightful?? :)

Hoping for some healthy days ahead for your house. Q-ster was sorely missed yesterday by Andrew as he was in princess/fairy overload.

Momma to LG said...

You poor thing! I am sorry we missed you at Tay Tay's but now understand. I would offer some help but, yeah, don't want to bring that home with me.

ewe are here said...

Ugh. I have felt your pain.

And red bull is disgusting... I think it's been outlawed in some european countries, too, because of it's abuse with alcohol.

Damselfly said...

Oh, you poor guys! Hope you can get a do-over.